Who Are We
The Reverend William Levington founded St. James’ and was the first black priest to serve as a missionary of the church in the South. Levington, a native of New York, was ordained a deacon on March 14, 1824 and a priest on March 23, 1828. Both ordinations were by Bishop William White of Pennsylvania at St. Thomas’ Church in Philadelphia. Bishop White also performed the ordination of Absalom Jones, the founder of St. Thomas’ parish in 1795, at which time Levington was an infant in New York. St. James’ is an Episcopal Church and follows the order of worship found in Episcopal churches in the United States and abroad, which is based on the 1979 Book of Common Prayer.
At St. James’, the celebration of Holy Eucharist is the principal form of worship on Sunday, and services are held at 9:30 a.m. Our services include congregational hymns, offerings from St. James’ choirs, and a sermon. Music is a treasured part of worship at St. James’ and we are proud of our two choirs: the Expressions of Faith Gospel Choir, and the Key of Christ Handbell Choir.