Welcome to St. James’ Church in Baltimore!

St. James’ Church was organized as an independent parish in 1824. The first service was held June 23rd of that year in the “Upper Room” at Park Avenue and Marion Street. The Reverend William Levington (http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/bragg/bragg.html) founded St. James’ and was the first black priest to serve as a missionary of the church in the South. St. James’, the first black Episcopal church south of the Mason/Dixon line, was the third black Episcopal congregation established in the United States after St. Thomas’ (http://www.aecst.org) and St. Philip’s (http://www.stphilipsharlem.dioceseny.org/) parishes in Philadelphia and New York.

 

stjames processionstjamesaltarst james building